Living Naturally Newsletter
A hearty, gluten-free breakfast!
You’ll go crazy for our Spinach & Cheddar Quiche!
Gluten-Free Spinach & Cheddar Quiche
For the pastry crust:
1 cup Bisquick™ Gluten Free mix
A heaping 1/3 cup of shortening
3-4 Tbsp cold water
Stand mixer with dough hook attachment
9-inch pie dish
For the filling:
10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup egg whites
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
- To make the pastry shell, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In your stand mixer bowl, add the Bisquick® mix and turn the mixer on low. Add the shortening a tablespoon at a time, until small balls the size of peas start to form.
- Add the cold water, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture becomes doughy. You’ll know it’s done when it no longer sticks to the side of the mixer bowl. Add 1-2 more teaspoons of water to achieve this consistency, if necessary.
- Roll the pastry into a ball, and press it firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until pastry is set and golden brown.
- In the meantime, using the same mixing bowl, add the eggs, egg whites, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, and mix on low until blended.
- Add the spinach and ½ cup of cheddar cheese to the egg mixture, and stir to combine.
- Once the pastry is a nice golden color, remove it from the oven and reduce heat to 375°F. Gently pour the egg mixture into the crust, and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheddar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the quiche to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Slice, serve, and enjoy!