In search of a gluten-free treat that’s always a crowd pleaser, even on Thanksgiving? We have an amazing – and easy! – recipe for gluten-free apple crisp that no one will know is gluten-free unless you tell them.
At Sundown® Naturals, we’re always striving to bring you delicious recipes that are free of gluten, and don’t sacrifice on flavor. Whip up the apple crisp below and wow your friends and family!
For the Filling
• 4-5 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped*
• 2 tsp lemon juice
• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Topping
• 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
• 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (Certified Gluten-Free)
• 1/2 cup almond meal
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients and toss well, making sure that the apples are evenly coated.
3. Spoon the mixture into a 9-inch round pie dish, cake pan, or square baking pan, and set aside.
4. In another large bowl for the topping ingredients, add the brown sugar, oats, and almond meal, whisking thoroughly to combine. Take care to ensure that there aren’t any large, unmixed chunks of brown sugar.
5. Fold in the cinnamon and salt. Once everything is combined, stir in the melted butter.
6. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the apples in the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. The apple crisp is done when the filling is bubbly, the apples are slightly soft, and the topping is browned.**
7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then, slice, serve, top with ice cream if you so choose, and enjoy!
*Try using a mixture of different types of apples to take your crisp to the next level of delicious. Granny Smiths are a nice tart choice, while Pink Lady, Fuji, and Honeycrisp are varyingly sweet, and perfect for baking.
**If it looks like the topping is browning too quickly, remove the crisp from the oven and cover the top loosely with foil before continuing to bake.